Instant Pot Chicken Adobo

Chicken Adobo in the Instant Pot


I grew up in San Diego. More specifically, I grew up in a community called Mira Mesa. Or, as we lovingly called it, "Manila Mesa", due to the high Filipino population there (Thank you US Navy! #Veteran). So I grew up enjoying lumpia, pancit and of course Chicken Adobo. 




This is such a ridiculously easy dish to make because at the heart of it it contains 4 ingredients: chicken, black peppercorns, soy sauce and vinegar. THAT'S IT!!! Yet it is full of so much flavor! I add a few more aromatics and spices for this recipe.




I usually do this in my slow cooker, which of course is hands free and leaves my house smelling wonderful! But I have recently joined the Instant Pot Revolution and so I decided to convert my recipe for it, as well as made it Whole 30 compliant!

NOTE: The only difference for non-Whole 30ers is that you can use soy sauce and regular fish sauce in place of the coconut aminos and gluten-free fish sauce. Everything else remains the same.  I also choose to not use whole peppercorns because it makes it a bit of a hassle to avoid them when you are eating. 

I got a deliciously seasoned dish in a fraction of the time. Now, there are a few things I will do next time (and they are reflected in the final recipe): I will brown my chicken first. You can do this either using the saute function on the Instant Pot or stove-top. Then proceed as normally. I think I missed out on the caramel color I usually have with my Chicken Adobo. Also, thicken the sauce a bit after it is done, either with arrowroot (Whole30) or regular cornstarch. 

So are you ready to make your very own Chicken Adobo? Let's go!





Comments

Popular Posts