Ghee, I can do this at home!

Ghee is a form of liquid gold, otherwise known as butter. It is made from high quality, butter from grass fed cows (like Kerry Gold Irish Butter) and it is truly delicious. You usually think of clarified butter when you have crab legs, but I guarantee it isn't completely free of milk fats or made with high quality butter. Whole30 is a dairy-free program, but that doesn't mean you can't put a dollop of delicious ghee on your asparagus or baked potato! And I'm pretty sure that you will continue well after the program is over because it is just so good!

You can buy ghee at most any natural foods store like Trader Joe's or Sprouts. But is super easy to make (and easier on the checkbook!). I have a great big bowl of it in my fridge right this very minute!




The process is simple: you boil butter until it separates all the milk fat, and it settles at the bottom, sometimes turning a golden brown. You then strain it, usually through cheesecloth into a container, leaving behind all the browned milk fat bits. THOSE are the parts that make it dairy. Without it, it is just pure fat. And fat, my friends, IS your friend! Don't shy away from using fat to cook with (ghee, olive oil, coconut oil, bacon grease) because it not only adds flavor but fat helps with a feeling of satiety.


So make you some ghee! You'll thank me later!




Comments

Popular Posts